What Nobody Tells Beginners

On Monday I officially graduated.  I dressed myself up in an oversized cap and gown, concentrated really hard on not falling in my heels while strolling across the stage at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre, gave a little doff to the Chancellor and was finally handed my piece of paper: Bachelor of Design (Architectural Studies).  As one of my friends eloquently described: “This dainty little piece of paper represents years of exhaustive dedication, numerous pen strokes and thousands of ideas, together with a hoard of friendships and memories.”

This whole semester was a rollercoaster of emotions that I was not expecting.  For some unknown reason it was incredibly difficult to comprehend usually simple tasks in my assessment.  For the most part it was like there some looming voice in my ear that just kept repeating: “if you do not pass, you will not graduate”.  Of course now I am wondering why I put so much pressure on myself.

It sounds so cheesy, but I feel as though I am on the edge of the rest of my life now.  I feel as though whatever my next step will be will significantly change everything as I know it.  There are many options available to me and my new piece of paper now, but which one will give the best outcome long-term?  Someone very wise told me that the most important thing is, if i’m going to say no to an option, don’t let it be because I was too scared to go for it.

In my very last lecture, I was left with this quote.  It has haunted me ever since as it sums up exactly how I feel and everything I wished someone had told me on my first day at university.  I think it is the perfect way to finish up the year.

Leyla

That’s a really excellent quote claire! So excellent I’m actually going to go and print it out right now and stick it on my wall. I wish you all the best in your sans-assignment minder life! I know you’ll do something amazing because you are amazing yourself 🙂

Claire

Thanks Leyla.. I’m glad you enjoyed it! The quote is pretty wonderful.. I can’t believe I hadn’t heard it before now.. haha I also have it printed and stuck on my bedroom wall 🙂 all the best with the rest of your studies next year!

Andre Fournier

Well written and memorable, with your permission I will share this with my friends. Cheers!

Claire

Thanks Andrew! of course feel free to share, it’s nice to know people are reading this lol 🙂

Kieran

It might also be a phrase that has had its meaning diminished by overuse, but it still is very much an accurate assessment; Graduation is not an end, but a beginning, and a passport to many years of professional consolidation and further learning – embrace this and the future will be your friend.

Claire

Very wise words Kieran 🙂

Steven

Thanks for that. I saved that quote. I am a new student, and I never thought of it that way. It also explains why I often take longer than others – I can’t leave my work at less than what I want it to be, but my skill is often lacking, so I persist. Its too easy to get discouraged to see something someone’s made in 3 weeks that is as good (or better) as something that took me over 6 months…

Claire

Hi Steven, I’m glad you saved it too! Good luck with your studies this year.. And remember to do a lot of work, persistance always pays off in the end…