Oh, Vienna

As a design student, I sit for hours every week in lectures hearing about the great buildings and cities of the world.  From Madrid to Tokyo, each time I scribble the name onto my ‘must see’ list and to be honest, it’s beginning to get quite extensive.  So in my attempt to fill the void of regret I have for not going on a semester exchange; I figured a short overseas adventure before I graduate was just the thing I needed to propel myself into the real world.

I always get my great ideas in the wee hours of the early morning, and this was no different.  It was late one evening and I was stuck on Google searching for Architectural Summer Schools, as you do.  Vienna University of Technology caught my eye immediately, after recently watching the movie ‘Before Sunrise’.  It’s about how a young man and woman meet on a train in Europe, and wind up spending one romantic evening together in Vienna (ahh, a girl can dream).  Anyway, the architecture and culture is steeped in history and its consistently named one of the most liveable cities in the world.  I decided it was the perfect place to be inspired and sent in my application.

At the time, I’d never even met anyone who had been to Vienna before, which actually increased its appeal.  Although, once you put it out there into the universe, it’s strange how it suddenly seems to follow you.  I see/hear/talk about Vienna all the time now.  I turn on ‘Amazing Race’ on the TV and they are in Vienna.  I start a new job, and the guy I work with has lived in Vienna.  I meet people who went to Vienna on their honeymoon.  I find a song by The Fray on my iPod called Vienna.  The most important thing is that there is a clear consensus that Vienna is beautiful.

Oh man, I hope so.

At this stage my flights are booked, my passports renewed, and the summer school and accommodation paid for.  I’m leaving 3 days after my last assignment, and it’s been a fantastic motivator for me so far this semester.  It’s pretty great knowing that after all of my upcoming weekends spent in assignment hibernation, I’ll be rewarded with a trip to Europe.  I also have barely anytime to think about how I’m travelling 30 hours by myself to a country I’ve never been to before and to a place where I don’t know anyone.  Eeep!

So I’ll brush up on my non-existent knowledge of German, spend as little time as possible packing my suitcase and try not to be distracted by Google anytime soon.  I’ve been craving an adventure for a long time now and I’m certain this won’t be my last.

Wünscht mir Glück!

Nanaka

Hi Claire,

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Vienna.
    I studied at WU for 3 weeks in July this year.
    Everything I experienced there was fantastic.