Glad that Period is over…

So I must admit, I haven’t posted here in awhile because I just went through the most challenging subjects I’ve done to date. Those who are mathematically minded will probably think I’m being a wuss, but I found myself having to study more to understand different aspects of statistics, a new software system to complete our assignments based on statistical methods and endure a Friday evening class of statistics. It feels like all I’ve been doing is eating, breathing and dreaming about statistics.

Despite feeling overwhelmed with my constant travels between university and home, I did manage to get out and experience new things. Maastricht recently opened up their Christmas markets and it looks like something from a movie, it is full of good food, Christmas trinkets and an ice-skating rink! Needless to say, watching the city transform in to a festive hub has been truly remarkable.

We also received snow due to a cold snap we had two weeks ago, but unfortunately it melted. A student who will be visiting QUT under the same program as I’m in gave me some good advice when it comes to riding through the snow – “the kids here are crazy and ride their bikes up the gutters, so be careful when riding that you don’t get caught in their tracks and stack it up the gutter”. So , for the few days we had snow, I rode with absolute precision.

My balcony.

Now, exams and coursework are over, meaning most of the friends I have made here are travelling back home or moving on to grander things. Only a few will be around for a short two-week skills block in January, so the goodbye process is extremely drawn out. I’ll be kicking off my three week tour around Germany, UK and France tomorrow, so with the sadness of saying goodbye to a lot of interesting and fun people comes a sense of excitement of what is to come.

In parting, I’ll say Merry Christmas, have a safe new year and enjoy that sun!