The end of classes

This week marked the end of classes for my exchange to Canada. I honestly cannot believe how fast time has gone and in less than three weeks, when exams have been written and their ending celebrated, we will be packing our bags and leaving Fenwick Tower for the last time. The past few weeks have been a blur. So much has happened since reading week.

10 days after the Bahamas, myself, 2 girls and 1 boy from Fenwick headed to Cancun, Mexico for a 4 day long weekend during American Spring Break. Our timing coincided with the beginning of the celebrations, so things weren’t as wild as they get, but it was still an awesome experience and I would definitely be keen to return to experience more of Mexico at some point. Our flight to Mexico involved a 10 hour stopover in New York, so we made the most of the oppportunity and caught the subway into Manhattan to do a spot of shopping and a little sight seeing.

We returned to the airport to find out flight delayed due to the weather. After a few more hassles we finally got to Cancun after 1am, about 4 hours later than expected. We had been upgraded to a nicer hotel before we left but upon arrival there we found there had again been a booking issue and we were instead upgraded once more. Finally getting to our hotel after 2am was not the start we had dreamed of but vowed to enjoy our luxurious accommodation for the weekend! We woke up the next morning to be blown away by the quality of the hotel and the indescribable view! WOW. the rest of the weekend more than made up for the hassles at the beginning and we were once again sad to leave the warm weather, but happy to return to our home, Halifax (and to show off our tans to the pasty Canadians!)

Nightclub

After Cancun came St Patty’s Day. Nova Scotia has proud Scottish connections and origins, and the people of Halifax were more than willing to extend such ties to include Ireland for the day! Things could not have been greener! We arrived at the Grawood (which is the on-campus bar at Dal) at the modest time of 11:30am (very well behaved in comparison to those who went to the old maritime pub on the waterfront at 6am!!) all decked out in green finery. The bar staff were dying people’s beer green, there were shamrocks everywhere and the festive spirit was high- if I hadn’t known better you could have quite easily convinced me I was in Ireland!

The next day, despite the damage inflicted on my liver the day before, I trotted off to my family law class at 9am. Talk about dedication!
After St Patty’s things quitened down a little, as we all tried to catch up with uni work, while still fitting in a weekly excursion to the nightlife!

We have also climbed onto the roof of Fenwick Tower (33 story building) a few times, and have gotten some amazing photos.. there is a ladder to the top from our balcony, but no railing on the roof and we probably aren’t meant to get up there but its safe enough if you aren’t silly…

There is a bar down by the waterfront in the historical buildings called “The Lower Deck” and on Sundays it goes off with a beloved local covers band called ‘Signal Hill’. I strongly suggest you google them and listen to their music- they are AMAZING and definitely one of the things I will miss most when I leave here (although I have already bought one of their CD’s to take home with me!)

Well I had better get back to the books as my first exam is in 3 days.. uh ohhh- have been prcrastinating too much booking flights and accommodation for travelling post exams (around Nova Scotia, to Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, New York and Vancouver)