The end of exams can’t come soon enough. Let’s celebrate – the Out of the Box Festival starts June 25th!
Out of the Box is a biennial festival of theatre, music, circus and art – all for the under 8s. Older children (and adults) love it too, though! Started in 1992, it is a national leader in programming for kids. QUT students and staff have been involved over the years both as participants as well as writing and thinking about this unique festival.
For eight days, the area round QPAC (and the museums and galleries) will be full of colour and energy, art and theatre, music and dance. Some highlights include:
- QUT Pop-up Playspaces designed by QUT’s very own Early Childhood Education students.
- Circa’s performance of Carnival of the Animals.
- Wulamanayuwi and the Seven Pamanui, a mingling of European fairy-tale and Indigenous creation myth.
- Plenty of workshops – from the high tech to the downright grubby.
- And just being there is fun!
You will need to purchase tickets for some events, but there are many free activities as well. Check the event schedule for the full details.
More on the festival from Brendan Ross, the OOTB director: