International Women’s Day has been celebrated on March 8th around the world since 1911. This year’s theme, Inspiring Change, highlights the achievements of inspiring women everywhere and calls for continued progress toward global equality. Here are my suggestions for marking this special day.
- Finding out what feminism means to contemporary women with Reclaiming the F word: Feminism today by Catherine Redfern.
- Hang out at one of the QUT Guild’s campus Women’s Rooms – safe spaces where women can meet each other and discuss gender-related issues.
- Read stories of inspiring women available in QUT Library:
- Check out a women’s film by another QUT Alumni, Davida Allan: Feeling Sexy.
- Watch your favourite movie or TV show and see if it meets the Bechdel test.
Add your suggestions for celebrating International Women’s Day to the comments. I would especially love to know about Australian films with strong female characters.