BrisMUN ’18 was an absolute blast!

It has been over a month since the Brisbane Model United Nations (MUN) Conference 2018, but it still feels like yesterday! As someone who does not participate a lot in university activities, I was very hesitant to join at first after hearing about it at a Business Advantage Entrepreneurship session. However, I thought it would enhance my international business acumen as part of my degree, so I went for it! It did exactly that and so, so much more!

Over the four spectacular days, I was able to learn so much about myself and the incredible, intelligent and experienced group of students from all over the country. I was a co-delegate for Spain along with my best friend Esha Mittal, in the General Assembly. Here we negotiated the ethics behind artificial intelligence, animal sentience, enhanced super soldiers. I was so blown away by the creative solutions many countries, including mine, could develop, whilst considering economic, political and cultural views. We were able to develop a detailed Resolution which required incredible higher order thinking skills of succinct word usage, deductive reasoning, and constructive elimination.

I also had the incredible opportunity of developing a convincing pitch for the Women in Nigeria Education and Empowerment Campaign. Here we worked in groups to research the current UN standards in place in Nigeria for women empowerment and look towards creating new opportunities or enhancing current ones. It was incredible how within just two hours, students from all walks of life and degrees can come together to unite over how we can make the world a better place for the less fortunate!

However, it was definitely not all work! At the end of each day of hard work, we were rewarded and celebrated with so many socials! For the first night, we had a chilled out drinks night at our homely Botanic Bar, followed by a beautiful Committee Dinner at one of the best Chinese restaurants in the Valley the next evening! We then partied hard at Birdees nightclub for the Penultimate Party with our own exclusive hired out room! The last social ended our festivities with a bang at the exquisite black-tie Finale Ball overlooking the Brisbane River at The Landing at Dockside.

This opportunity has not only given me an insight into the intricacies of United Nations Conferences but endless friends to keep in touch with during my upcoming MUNs and just throughout life! It also taught me to not be scared and take on challenges, which ended up being so worth it when working with an incredibly encouraging cohort! I cannot wait to participate in my next MUN and I would highly encourage absolutely everyone to step out of their comfort zone and join me!