Before I begin my study abroad- Cardiff University, Wales

Studying abroad is something I have planned to do for years, but the lengthy process has often made me feel as though it can be too difficult to achieve. I applied and withdrew once before as my credit points were not sufficient to receive the OS Help loan, but I have finally made it.

I am writing this from the UK, 3 months before I am set to start studying. This opportunity to study in a different country has not only provided me with the different university environment, but further encouraged me to make the absolute most of my time. My student exchange was the fundamental reason for planning to backpack around Europe for several months in over 30 cities. I leave tomorrow with my twin sister (who is studying abroad at Leeds University, England, during the same semester) and I have never been more excited for something.

It has been somewhat challenging to get to this point, and I know the obstacles won’t stop here, but I could not recommend participating in a student exchange enough. Already I notice differences in the weather, the mannerisms and attitudes of the general public, the change of infrastructure, finances, environments and so much more. I have been here for less than a week, without even commencing my travels or studying officially, and I am so pleased to have this opportunity of on-campus living and studying overseas.

I truly believe this culture change will shape me in more ways than not. I am in my second year of studying Bachelor of Business (Human Resources/ Public Relations), and I hope that this adventure will give me some closure as to what my ultimate dream job is. I aim to apply for internships and gain a lot of experience whilst I am living in Wales in order to live this opportunity to its full potential.

I could not be more proud to represent QUT in a different country and I am excited to share how I am finding this new chapter of my life in a few months!