Exchange and global opportunities

My ADventure at GroupM Hong Kong

I thought I knew a bit about media agencies, having interned for several weeks at Starcom Brisbane. I had even done a mini-internship with Mediacom in Sydney. But visiting GroupM Hong Kong was an entirely different ADventure.

The front office at GroupM is just as captivating as their award winning campaigns

From the moment I stepped into the office, I felt it was different. The way it looked with the rows of international awards, the global client list and a car parked in the middle of the office.

Hosted by the lovely Moon Cheng, we learnt how the world’s largest media investment group was created and the values it enacts. I was surprised to discover the array of clients that GroupM have, with clients such as Pandora, Bayer and Shiseido; and the famous campaigns that they had been a part of. It was amazing to discover that ads I see on a daily basis are produced right here by the talented team at GroupM.

Accompanying Moon was QUT advertising graduate Kitty Mo, who is now working at MEC within the GroupM conglomerate. It was inspiring to hear about her transition to Hong Kong and her motivations for moving. In her position she enjoys seeing her work come to life.

Throughout the presentation it became evident that Hong Kong consumers are changing at an exponential rate. This was evident through the way they interact with media (in particular mobile), which offers lots of ways to explore new advertising placements.

With all of the GroupM agencies beginning with an M, and employees with names such as Moon and Mo, I wondered if you had to have an M in your name in order to work there.

Thank you Moon and Kitty for a great day!

As my Hong Kong and Singapore adventure is only beginning, I am extremely excited to continue exploring other agencies and the industry.

Bachelor of Business (Marketing and Advertising)

2 Comments

1. Looks like an amazing adventure and above all a great experience in discovering a different workplace culture! Enjoy!

Send this to friend